Minutes of our PVHG May 2019 meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 28th May 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 9 members:

  • Yvonne Eaton, Secretary & Treasurer
  • David Fill
  • David Oakley
  • Marion Wright
  • Nev Bray
  • Stephen Hallam
  • Pam Worthington
  • Robert Dilworth
  • Sue Brown

Apologies: Adrian Mongredien

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Matters arising:- 

Continue reading “Minutes of our PVHG May 2019 meeting”

May Meeting – Tuesday 28th May 2019

Just a reminder that the group will meet again on Tuesday 28th May 2019 at 7.30 pm in Venue 35, the Memorial Hall Meeting Room.

  • David Oakley has indicated that he will have some information about Packington’s soldier recruits in the early nineteenth century.
  • We will check progress on the Packington 2019 photo project, with some records already displayed here on the website
  • We can confirm preparations for the High St. Walk on 25th June.
  • If there is time left we will do some more work on the archive.

I will look forward to seeing you all again at the meeting.

Robin Boucher, Chair, PVHG

Minutes of our PVHG April 2019 Meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 30th April 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 9 members:

  • Yvonne Eaton, Secretary & Treasurer
  • Adrian Mongredien
  • David Fill
  • David Oakley
  • Di Holdsworth
  • Marion Wright
  • Nev Bray
  • Pam Worthington
  • Robert Dilworth

Apologies received from Sue Brown.

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Robin welcomed our 2 new members: Pam Worthington and  Marion Wright.

Continue reading “Minutes of our PVHG April 2019 Meeting”

Minutes of our PVHG March 2019 Meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 26th March 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher, 8 members, one new member

  • The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.
  • Robin welcomed David Oakley to the group as a new member.
  • Robin reported the latest regarding the Thomas Pestell film production. Wendy Freer has applied for a grant, the result of which should be known within approximately 4 weeks.
  • The June 25th PVHG High Street guided walk is on track.
  • We have not heard from Paula Dring confirming her permission to photograph the graves in her garden. Yvonne will call and ask if she is agreeable.
  • The Memorial Hall committee have invited ALL village associations and groups to an Open Evening on Friday 26th April 2019. Members agreed PVHG should attend. Sue will provide display stands. This will be an opportunity to sell ourselves, and hopefully encourage more membership. Members are to meet at 10am on Monday, 15th April to plan and prepare for the evening.

The main item of the evening was how best to record the continual changes in the village. A drone could take aerial photographs periodically, but might be too expensive. Sue suggested the National Monuments Record at Swindon may already have aerial photos of Packington, and will investigate. The Historic England Archive apparently has 4 million aerial photographs, of which 95,000 are available online at Britain From Above

Adrian proposed that a photo be taken of every house for sale in the village as new occupants invariably change the property. Members agreed photographs of each street be taken and recorded; David agreed to co-ordinate the placing of photos on the website and the following members agreed to be responsible for recording their street:-

  • David Oakley – Hall Lane
  • David Fill – Brook Close and Babelake
  • Sue / Di – Mill Street
  • Robin – Normanton Road
  • Yvonne – Ashby Road
  • Adrian – Spring Lane
  • Nev – Homecroft

The meeting closed at 9.10pm

The next meeting is Tuesday, 30th April at 7.30pm

Minutes of our PVHG February 2019 Meeting

Paula Dring gave PVHG a presentation on the life of Joseph Goadby

Present:  Chairman Robin and 9 members

No apologies were received.

Robin welcomed our speaker for the evening, Mrs. Paula Dring. 

Paula spoke on the life and work of Reverend Joseph Goadby, who was the Baptist Minister in Packington until his death in 1842, and who is buried in her garden.

Part of the garden is the former Baptist Chapel graveyard, near to the site of the old Baptist church building which was eventually demolished in the 20th Century. 

Using a nice slide projection, PVHG members were given details of the development of the Baptists in the area, and how Reverend Goadby had dramatically increased their population and become very much loved and respected. 

Paula was thanked by all present for a very interesting talk.

Next, the minutes of the January meeting were approved and signed.

Robin reported he had received correspondence from Wendy Freer of Pudding Bag Productions, who has now completed 90% of the script for the film of Rev Pestell. Wendy said Carol Price, the head of Packington Primary School, is keen for the children to take part. Wendy has also employed a flute player and actor.

The 25th June 2019 High Street walk is now looking good. Robin has progressed with his script, and also has a number of pictures forq display in Venue 35, the Memorial Hall Meeting Room, to complement the walk.

Another session of sorting the archives has been arranged for Tuesday 12th March from 10am to noon, all members are invited to attend.

Recording of the Packington Parish boundaries and any changes within the village, are to be discussed at our Tuesday 26th March meeting. Robin will place an article in the Packington Post asking if any village residents wish to take part.  

The meeting closed at 9.10pm.

PVHG January 2019 – AGM and Meeting Minutes

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 29th January 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 6 members.

Apologies received from:- Diane and Doug

Annual General Meeting AGM 2019

Minutes of the previous AGM meeting in January 2018 were read, approved and signed. There were no matters arising.

Chairman’s report:- 

“After the difficult year of 2017 the Group has had a more positive 2018.  New members have joined and made valued contributions. Activities have included:

  • an overview of Anglo-Saxon England with specific reference to Packington and the surrounding area
  • a meeting with Ashby Museum which led to the updating of a poster about Packington displayed there
  • discussion with a local film / drama group about a forthcoming project on a seventeenth-century vicar of Packington;  and
  • a significant contribution to the village’s centenary commemoration of the end of the First World War 
  • much debate about the future of archive material
  • a firm commitment to disseminating the information in the archive. Group members now have a much greater understanding of its size and scope.
  • At the end of the reporting period, the Group has obtained agreement to store archive material in the Memorial Hall Venue 35, which will greatly help during 2019.

The Group now has its own website at pvhg.uk

Firmer links have been made with the Packington Post, resulting in regular publicity for the Group’s activities.

However, the Group still faces a number of issues at the start of 2019. There is still a need to attract new members, particularly from younger residents of the village. This has implications for the kind of activities which the Group may plan. Development of the archive will continue to be a major focus, requiring a positive relationship with other parties such as the Memorial Hall Committee and also pursuit of financial support.

I would like to thank all members for their support to the Group over the past year. My particular thanks go to Robert for his help with information technology and for volunteering to represent the Group on the Memorial Hall Committee; and to Yvonne for her secretarial work and her reliable and steady support to me as Chair. “

Treasurer’s report:

A copy of the income and expenditure throughout 2018 was circulated. The present balance shown in the building society account is now still positive following the purchase of the archive cupboard. Members were pleased the archives will be in easy reach and available to any key holding members at any reasonable time after co-ordination with the Hall bookings clerk. Adrian pointed out that this may need to be checked before our next meeting in case the buildings insurance policy be invalidated. Members agreed that the Group needs to apply to the Parish Council Solar Fund for a grant to help with the cost of specialised archiving boxes and materials etc.

Election of Officers for 2019

Chairman: Robin Boucher, proposed by Robert and seconded by Adrian – carried.

Vice-chair: no takers, this position to be left in abeyance for 2019

Secretary/treasurer: Yvonne Eaton, proposed by Adrian, seconded by Sue – carried.

Committee; Robin, Yvonne, Diane, David and Robert.

Setting of membership fees for 2019; these to stay as 2018. £10 per single member and £15 per couple. Members agreed any new member joining later in the year to be at a reduced rate and if that is September or beyond £10 to be charged to include 2020. Proposed meeting dates for 2019 to be the last Tuesday of each month omitting July, August, November and December.

Members thanked Robin and Yvonne for their work throughout 2018. The AGM meeting closed, and was followed by an ordinary meeting.


Ordinary Meeting 29 January 2019

Robin reminded members that Paula Dring will be our speaker for the February meeting, on the subject of Joseph Goadby who brought the Baptist Chapel to Packington in the early nineteenth century. 

Robin also reported he had been in touch with Wendy Freer of Pudding Bag Productions following her visit in November.  She has approached the school, church, and Guild Hall Leicester, who are happy to be involved. Wendy has also applied for a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and is hopeful the film of the Pestells will be completed this year.  Robin suggested she be asked to come to a meeting later this year to update her progress.

Members agreed a history walk be included in our year’s programme, Robin is already working on a High Street walk, having found Peter’s notes and archive material.  The walk to include an exhibition of photographs etc of the High Street in the Venue 35 meeting room.  Sue is willing to provide display stands.  The proposed date for the walk is Tuesday, 25th June 2019.

Sue is willing to give a talk on Medieval Packington at our October meeting.   Members felt it important to note any changes within the village and parish boundary.  There was discussion as to how this can be best achieved.  Adrian proposed OS maps be obtained and boundaries compared to the Estate map, however this to be put on hold as Sue will bring her maps to the March meeting when decisions can be made on how to proceed.  

The archive material can now all be moved to the meeting room and members can then proceed with the thinning process. To this end members to meet on Monday 11th February at 10am to noon to make a start. The  meeting closed at 9.20pm

The next meeting is arranged for Tuesday, 26th February at 7.30pm.  

Minutes of the PVHG October 2018 Meeting

MINUTES OF THE October 2018 MEETING OF PACKINGTON VILLAGE HISTORY GROUP PVHG

held in Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 30th October 2018 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 7 members.

Apologies received from:- Diane and Doug

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Robin reported:
  • he had suitably cut the old Packington poster which used to hang in the museum,  and kept the photographs ready for archiving.
  • Paula Dring has replied favourably regarding the request for her to talk to the history group about her research on Reverend Joseph Goadby, the Baptist Minister.  It is hoped the February 2019 meeting will be agreeable to her.
  • Wendy Freer of Pudding Bag productions has agreed to attend our next November 2018 meeting, and will talk on Reverend Thomas Pestell  (the younger), Vicar of Packington from 1644, whose career was interrupted by the Civil War and the Interregnum, then resumed after the restoration of King Charles II.  There is more on her heritage group’s website,  puddingbagproductions.co.uk ; Wendy will also be outlining what she requires from our group.
Robert reported on his first meeting of the Memorial Hall Committee, where he was warmly welcomed, and said how the history group was thought well of, as many of the Memorial Hall committee members had attended the history walks and seen the exhibitions.
The important matter of storage space at Memorial Hall for the archives was thoroughly discussed by members concluding with the proposal that a suitable steel cabinet be purchased by the history group and be situated in the storage room at the memorial hall, subject to the agreement of the Memorial Hall Committee.  Robert will put this before the Memorial Hall Committee at their next meeting in November.
It was also hoped that history group members would be able to use the Venue 35 meeting room for the thinning of the archive material. This would be on several morning sessions throughout the beginning of 2019.  The question of dissemination of the archive material was further discussed.
The question of future projects was discussed.  Sue proposed that medieval Packington would be a very interesting subject to pursue.
The meeting closed at 9.20pm.
The next PVHG meeting is on Tuesday, 27th November 2018 at 7.30pm.
Yvonne Eaton, Secretary

Minutes of the PVHG September 2018 Meeting

MINUTES OF THE September 2018 MEETING OF PACKINGTON VILLAGE HISTORY GROUP PVHG

held in Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 25th September 2018 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher, 6 members. and guest Terry Hammond

Apologies received from:- Diane, Doug, and Nev.

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Robin welcomed Terry Hammond who brought the meeting up to date with the World War 1  commemoration events in November:

  • A copy of the programme for the Saturday evening Music Hall entertainment was circulated.
  • Terry explained that regrettably the actors reading the soldiers’ story would not be in military uniform, as the cost of hire was prohibitive.
  • It was with some regret that members heard the film to be shown on Friday night the 9th November was not a war film. The possibility of whether a war film could be shown at some other time over that weekend was discussed, but at this stage of the arrangements it was not thought to be possible.
  • Robin has been searching the archives for suitable photographs for the display in the Memorial Hall and showed members his findings. Some were of the village as it was during the l914/18 period, as well as some of the village soldiers and sailors who served in the first world war.
  • The display stands required to house the photographs for the display can be kindly supplied by Sue.
  • Members thanked Terry for his hard work on this WWI commemoration project

Robin reported he had organised the replacement Packington display poster for the museum and had succeeded in obtaining a grant from the Packington Parish Council for this purpose.  Thanks were expressed by members for this.  The new poster is now on display at the museum.  The question of what should happen to the old poster which was brought from the museum, was discussed and it was decided to keep the top portion of photographs which would be added to the archives.

Members who had taken archive boxes over the summer for thinning reported their progress, Sue had achieved almost 50% as newspaper reports were hand written as well as typed, this being just one example of unnecessary archive space being used.  There was much discussion regarding what should be kept and what constituted genuine historical information to be kept.

Robert suggested approaching the memorial hall committee requesting space in the meeting room for the group to use at any reasonable time, but it was pointed out that the trust had to adhere to rules laid down and therefore this request was unlikely to be granted.  As playgroup are no longer using the memorial hall, storage space is now available, members felt the memorial hall committee should be approached asking if the history group could place their archives in such a space.

It was therefore proposed a representative of the history group be on the memorial hall committee.  Robert was proposed by Stephen and seconded by David, passed unanimously and agreed to be our representative.  Future meetings were discussed and Robert  suggested an invitation be sent to Paula Dring to speak on her research of the first Packington Baptist Minister. This was agreed.

Robin had received a letter from Wendy Frear who was requesting help from the history group and Robin will reply, inviting her to speak at our November meeting.

The village is slowly changing, population and buildings, therefore photographic evidence for the archives is essential showing these changes and it is hoped Richard Jones would be willing to take the necessary photographs.

The meeting closed at 9.30. The next meeting is on Tuesday 30th October, 2018 at 7.30pm

Minutes of the PVHG June 2018 Meeting

MINUTES OF THE June 2018 MEETING OF PACKINGTON VILLAGE HISTORY GROUP PVHG

held in Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 26th June 2018 at 7:30 pm

Present:  Chairman Robin Boucher and 5 members.

Apologies received from:- Robert and Nev.

Robin welcomed Terry Hammond, who gave a report on the latest arrangements for the commemoration of World  War 1.  The funding is in place for the weekend’s events, and guests for the Saturday evening event are asked to be in dress of the age.  The 3 actors for the evening’s entertainment have been appointed, however 2 mid-to-late teens actors are required – any volunteers?  Chris Miles is co-ordinating the Sunday’s events. The school and youth club are involved as well as other village organisations.

Robin had prepared a short history of Charles Walter Henson, details being taken from an oral history, and this he read to members.  Walter Henson was a First World War soldier and a well known and respected Packington resident.  Members agreed this to be part of the commemoration exhibition together with photographs of Mr. Henson.

Terry left and the meeting continued with discussion on the storage of the archive material.  Following our May visit to the Ashby Museum, members agreed it was important to store all the material in purpose-made boxes, as it is vital the paper copy is kept as well as digitised storage. Robin had details of Spectrum 5 and members agreed this was expensive, but possibly to be considered in the future.

Members agreed the archive should be kept in Packington, and as the Memorial Hall have applied for planning permission for additional storage, it is hoped space can be found for the History Group to have a locked cabinet there. Access would be for members,  and the general public accompanied by a group member.  Records should only be kept at  Ashby Museum as a last resort.  Adrian proposed that the history group be represented on the Memorial Hall committee, this was agreed and a representative to be appointed at our September meeting.  Members agreed that boxes similar to those at the Ashby Museum should be purchased for all our archive material, grants are available and Yvonne agreed to look into where and how the group can access these.

Robin had been in touch with Ken Hillier with regard to the Packington display poster at the museum to establish the company who originally printed the poster. Alterations are now required as some of the information is no longer correct, and the group needs to know costs for the alterations.  Members went through the list to make the necessary alterations.

The minutes of the April meeting were duly signed and the meeting closed at 9.25pm.

The next meeting is on 25th September, 2018 at 7.30pm.