Agenda for PVHG Annual General Meeting Tuesday 28th January 2020

Packington Memorial Hall Venue 35 on Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 7:30 pm

Agenda

  • Welcome and apologies for absence
  • Minutes of prior AGM held on 29th January 2019
  • Matters arising
  • Chairman’s Report
  • Treasurer’s Report
  • Election of Officers for 2020:
    • Chair
    • Vice-Chair
    • Secretary
    • Treasurer
    • Committee Members
  • Membership fees for 2020
  • Proposed meeting dates for 2020

Following completion of formal business, we will discuss possible activities for the coming year.

Proposed dates for PVHG meetings in 2020

Tuesdays at 7:30 pm in Memorial Hall Venue 35, unless otherwise arranged

  • 28th January 2020 – AGM Annual General Meeting
  • 25th February
  • 24th March
  • 28th April
  • 26th May
  • 23rd June
  • No meetings in July or August
  • 22nd September
  • 27th October
  • 24th November
  • No meeting in December 2020
  • 26th January 2021 – AGM Annual General Meeting

Minutes of our PVHG November 2019 meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 26th November 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 10 members

Apologies: Stephen, Diane, and David O

Minutes of the previous (October) meeting were approved and signed.

Matters arising:  Following the Thomas Pestell film, Robin has received a publication from Wendy Freer entitled “Thomas Pestell, a 17C Vicar of Packington – Local History Resources“, which is available to members.

The question of the clubs finances was raised, following Nationwide closing all Treasurers Accounts at the end of 2019. 

Robin and Yvonne have applied for a current account at Lloyds Bank  and provided the account remains in credit, there are no bank charges.  Members were asked if they agree to this change – carried unanimously.

Robin invited Adrian to speak on his work of the history of Packington dating back over 2000 years. Adrian explained that when talking to his grandchildren history did not appear to rate highly as a subject so he felt it was important to record a history of Packington and surrounding areas for young people and subsequently their elders as the learning of history is vitally important. 

Adrian prepared a draft entitled “A history of Packington and the surrounding area from 0-1100AD” for each member to take home and read.

Following Adrian’s presentation there was much discussion regarding how best to present any historical works, whether digitally or published in the traditional way, much to discuss in future meeting.  Thanks go to Adrian for his hard work on the early days, but members agreed it was important to take his work forward to the 21C.

Sue reported she has digitised copies of the Court Rolls.

The meeting closed at 9.10pm.

The next meeting is our AGM on Tuesday, 28th January, 2020

Minutes of our PVHG October 2019 meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 29th October 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 9 members

Apologies: Pam

Robin welcomed our three visitors.

Minutes of the previous (September) meeting were approved and signed.

Matters arising:  The film show was well attended and if any member wishes to see the Thomas Pestell film, Robin has a DVD which can be borrowed.

Mediaeval Packington

The main event of the evening was a talk by Sue on Medieval Packington. Sue has done extensive research, which included visits to the National Archives in Kew. 

During early times until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Packington was in the patronage of Coventry Priory, which was founded by Leofric in 1043. 

Sue showed members maps of the layout of the village, and also the Packington extent of 1412.  

After questions and answers by Sue, Robin thanked her on behalf of members for a most interesting and informative evening.

The meeting closed at 9.35pm.
The next meeting is on Tuesday 26th November at 7.30pm.

Minutes of our PVHG September 2019 meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 24th September 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 9 members

Apologies: Robert Dilworth, David Oakley

Minutes of the previous (May) meeting were approved and signed.

The High Street walk took place on Tuesday 25th June, despite the wet weather, and was well received by all attending. 

Robin would be happy to repeat the High Street walk, and also to host a Mill Street walk, as Peter’s notes are still available. Dates can be decided at the next AGM. 

Robin reported that Wendy Freer of Pudding Bag Productions had been in touch. The Rev Thomas Pestell film had been produced, and had been shown at the Lyric. Wendy agreed that PVHG can make a small display at the film showing in Packington on 25th October 2019.  Sue has once again agreed to provide display boards.

The Photographic Record 2019 of village buildings is now on the website, at https://pvhg.uk/packington-2019/ Still missing is coverage of “Stonehouse Farm” on Babelake Street.  Post-meeting note: Coverage of Little Lane will shortly be available. Two more areas need coverage: recent building, at Drum and Monkey Lane, and The Grove. 

Robin has replied to the query regarding the blind Packington Stallion.

The PVHG display at Open Gardens was a success. A thank-you letter had been received from Geoff Gasson.   

During our summer break, Nev and Robin attended the day course at Leicester University concerning sound archiving of oral histories, they agreed it had been interesting despite being very technical to begin with.  Several history groups attended.  Robin emphasised the fact that tapes can deteriorate over time and digitalising would be the answer.  The question of obtaining further oral histories was discussed and who in the village could be interviewed.  Members agreed the necessary equipment needed to  be ready before asking people for an interview.

Robin reported he had received some photographs from Richard North, a past resident of Packington, and these photos are now in the archives.

Gems from the Gilwiskaw” by Laura Cooper has at last been produced.  One hundred copies have been printed by Context at a cost of £145, this has been paid.  Copies are now for sale.

Members continued to thin archive material. The meeting ended at 9.30pm.

The next meeting is Tuesday, 29th October at 7.30pm.

PVHG Autumn Meetings: Tuesdays, 24 September and 29 October 2019

The next Packington Village History Group PVHG meeting will take place on Tuesday 24th September 2019, when we will catch up on things following our summer break.

At our following meeting Tuesday 29th October, Sue Brown will make a presentation on “Medieval Packington”. Any non-member who would like to join us will be warmly welcome – both meetings will take place in Venue 35, the Memorial Hall Meeting Room at 7:30 pm

PVHG is happy to issue a reminder that on Friday 25th October, Pudding Bag Productions will be showing FREE of CHARGE the film, made partially in our village this summer, about the Reverend Thomas Pestell, the historical figure who served as Vicar of Packington in the turbulent times of the English Civil War and its aftermath.

Tickets will be available at Daybreak Services, free of charge, for the showing in Venue 175, the Memorial Hall at 7:30 pm

PVHG Publishes new Packington History Booklet – “Gems from the Gilwiskaw”

Packington Village History Group PVHG is delighted to welcome publication of “Gems from the Gilwiskaw”, which author Laura Cooper completed shortly before her death.

Gems” represents a lasting tribute to Laura’s participation in Packington life, and illustrates her commitment to recording the village’s history.

Laura was born in Packington in 1931, but lived for her first four years in Ravenstone. (Laura said that her parents decided to move back to Packington so that she could attend the Packington School). She remained in Packington for the rest of her life.

In “Gems” she paints vivid pictures from her childhood in the village (and Ravenstone) in the 1930’s and 40’s. Laura completed the manuscript shortly before her death in 2016.

Copies are available from:

  • Robin Boucher tel 411638 email: randbboucher@googlemail.com
  • Yvonne Eaton tel 412269 email: yvonne.eat@outlook.com
  • at a cost of £3.50 each copy
Robin Boucher
Packington Village History Group 
August 2019      

Guided Tour – High Street History Walk – 7pm Tuesday 25th June 2019, led by PVHG

Packington Village History Group PVHG offers a FREE guided history walk of our village High Street, taking place at 7 pm on Tuesday 25th June 2019 (weather permitting!).

Meeting point: just across the road from the Bull and Lion.

The guided walk will be led by PVHG chair Robin Boucher, whose reputation as a fount of knowledge of Packington History is well -deserved.

The meeting point is the location a century ago of Packington’s Reading Room building, now the service road of Heather Lane

Robin will describe historic features of our High Street, some of which are more evident than others:

Perhaps you have seen this odd-shaped stone at the High Street entrance to Hall Lane – do you know what it is called, or what it is for?

There is a story behind many of the historic buildings and features of our High Street, and we who can walk blithely past today may never have realised the way things were in times of yore.

Do come along and join us for this informative event, (did we mention it is FREE?) which leads at its end to refreshments in our Memorial Hall Venue 35, where a display of High Street information will be available.

Minutes of our PVHG May 2019 meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 28th May 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 9 members:

  • Yvonne Eaton, Secretary & Treasurer
  • David Fill
  • David Oakley
  • Marion Wright
  • Nev Bray
  • Stephen Hallam
  • Pam Worthington
  • Robert Dilworth
  • Sue Brown

Apologies: Adrian Mongredien

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Matters arising:- 

Continue reading “Minutes of our PVHG May 2019 meeting”

May Meeting – Tuesday 28th May 2019

Just a reminder that the group will meet again on Tuesday 28th May 2019 at 7.30 pm in Venue 35, the Memorial Hall Meeting Room.

  • David Oakley has indicated that he will have some information about Packington’s soldier recruits in the early nineteenth century.
  • We will check progress on the Packington 2019 photo project, with some records already displayed here on the website
  • We can confirm preparations for the High St. Walk on 25th June.
  • If there is time left we will do some more work on the archive.

I will look forward to seeing you all again at the meeting.

Robin Boucher, Chair, PVHG

Minutes of our PVHG April 2019 Meeting

At Venue 35 – the Memorial Hall Meeting Room – on Tuesday 30th April 2019 at 7:30 pm

Present: Chairman Robin Boucher and 9 members:

  • Yvonne Eaton, Secretary & Treasurer
  • Adrian Mongredien
  • David Fill
  • David Oakley
  • Di Holdsworth
  • Marion Wright
  • Nev Bray
  • Pam Worthington
  • Robert Dilworth

Apologies received from Sue Brown.

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Robin welcomed our 2 new members: Pam Worthington and  Marion Wright.

Continue reading “Minutes of our PVHG April 2019 Meeting”